Ethics and Technology
Review the case vignettes in the presentation, Ethical Issues in Record Keeping and Technology, in this unit’s study. Select one vignette and use it to address the following:
- Identify the possible record-keeping and technology issues in this situation and the relevant ethical standards (ACA and ASCA), state law, and the “National Board for Certified Counselors’ (NBCC) Policy Regarding the Provision of Distance Professional Services.”
- Develop a plan of action to address this situation citing the relevant ethical standards identified. Integrate the standards through paraphrasing and summarizing key ideas to minimize the use of quotations.
Include specific examples to illustrate your ideas, and support your discussion with references to the professional literature. Follow current APA style and formatting guidelines in your post.
Respond to the initial discussion posts of two other learners. What reactions do you have to the ideas the learner has presented? Include examples from your own experience to support your perspective, and raise questions to continue the dialogue.
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
- Identify ethical issues related to the use of technology in the counseling profession.
- Identify the steps in addressing issues related to using technology in the counseling profession.
- Determine the proper application of APA formatting requirements.
- Develop communication appropriate for professional counseling settings.
- Discussion Participation Scoring Guide.
- ASCA Ethical Standards for School Counselors [PDF].
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Policy Regarding the Provision of Distance professional Services [PDF].
- 2014 ACA Code of Ethics.
- Ethical Issues in Record Keeping and Technology | Transcript.
- APA Style and Format.