Assignment 2: Probation, Parole Officers, and Theories of Behavior
In this module, you learned the concepts of the rehabilitation theory and practice as well as the roles of probation and parole officers. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics states that the majority of parole, probation, and other correctional officers need at least a bachelor’s degree related to psychology, social work, or criminal justice to work in their respective fields (www.bls.gov). Keeping this information in mind, answer the following:
- Why is it important that probation and parole officers have the knowledge and understanding of psychological and sociological constructs and theories?
- Do you agree that a bachelor’s degree should be the minimum requirement for persons in probation, parole, and corrections? Why?
- What other areas of training and specialization do you think would most benefit probation and parole officers? Explain your reasoning.
- Along a similar line, what professions, other than those of parole or probation officers, should include courses related to probation and parole for their staff? Why? Are there any noncriminal justice enforcement professionals that would benefit from probation or parole training? How?
Compile your report, include all the information researched, and prepare a submission paper in accordance with the following guidelines:
- This paper must be in the APA format and include a cover sheet and a reference page at the end.
- The length of the paper needs to be a minimum of three pages and no more than five pages. This length does not include your cover sheet or reference page.
- Remember that the APA font is Times New Roman, and the font size is 12.