Chapter 17 –
- “Or Does it Explode?” refers to what?
- Who was Richard Wright?
- Who was Angelo Herndon?
- What were the “Freedom Rides” ?
- According to Zinn, how did the Kennedy administration fail in its support of the Civil Rights Movement?
Chapter 18 –
- What are the Pentagon Papers and why are they Zinn’s main source of information in this chapter?
- Why does Zinn call the Vietnam War the “Impossible Victory?”
- According to Zinn, why was the National Liberation Front (NLF) so successful against the U.S. and South Vietnamese armies?
- Who was Ron Kovic?
- Explain this quote: “We lost the war in the Mississippi valley, not the Mekong valley.”
Chapter 19 –
- What was Betty Friedan’s “Feminine Mystique?”
- Why is this chapter simply called “Surprises?”
- How did the turmoil of the 60s affect Prison Inmates and American Indians?
- Why does Zinn criticize the plea bargaining system in our courts?
Chapter 20 –
- What were the Church and Pike Committees?
- What does Zinn say about Nixon’s resignation after the Watergate scandal?
- Why does Zinn condemn the two large corporations, ITT and ARAMCO?
- What was the “Mayaguez Affair?”
Chapter 21 –
- What is the “Carter-Reagan-Bush Bipartisan Consensus?”
- What is Zinn’s opinion on the presidency of Jimmy Carter?
- On page 568-569 describe the role of multinational corporations in international affairs.
- What is Zinn’s opinion on President Bush’s (the first one) victory against Iraq?
Chapter 22 –
- What is Zinn’s message in this chapter?
- Who were the Ploughshares 8?
- Why does Zinn doubt the media’s claim that the Reagan and Bush elections in the 1980s were “landslide victories?”
- Why is low voter turnout good for conservatives and large corporations?
- What happened on Columbus Day in 1992?
Chapter 23,24 –
- Describe what Zinn means by the “Coming Revolt of the Guards.”
- What alternatives does Zinn provide to the crumbling capitalist system now under attack?
- What is Zinn’s opinion on the presidency of Bill Clinton?
- What is Zinn’s opinion on the presidential election of 2000?