Final Assignment – Group Assignment (35% of overall grade) – Two Staged Project
The group project is a dynamic exercise designed for students to develop project management skills. The project will provide you with experience in managing the myriad variables routinely encountered in project management, and will provide you with realistic problem-solving and decision-making scenarios. Most importantly, the project will give you the opportunity to practice various tasks of project management, adopting a hands-on, learn-by-doing approach that emphasizes active learning.
In this group project, you will complete the assignment in two stages. Stage 1 consists of students completing Part 1 and Part 2 (15%). Stage 2 requires students to complete Part 3 and Part 4 (20%).
NOTE: All submitted work is to be your original work. You may not use any work from another student, the Internet or an online clearinghouse. You are expected to understand the Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism Policy, and know that it is your responsibility to learn about instructor and general academic expectations with regard to proper citation of sources as specified in the APA Publication Manual, 6th Ed. (Students are held accountable for in-text citations and an associated reference list only).
Required Element to include in the Final Assignment – Group:
- Complete all sections within each part;
- Follow the directions for all questions;
- Write the question as the paragraph heading and answer with a concise narrative;
- Ensure the report is consistent with APA guidelines;
- All attachments should be cited within the report;
You are in project manager on the Extreme Pogo Stick (XPS) project for your company. Your project is to develop a pogo stick capable of reaching heights of fifteen feet. The company has president, Dave Armstrong, feels there is a potentially strong market for the XPS. He predicts that it may be suitable for X-Games and potentially in the Olympics. However, Dave is very concerned that the XPS be brought to market quickly so that it can capture market share. But he also wants the XPS to be engineered so that it maximizes the potential for athletes to complete the significant tricks without damaging the system or themselves.
Part 1 and Part 2 are complete at this point.
Dave Armstrong is concerned about the schedule that you have provided him. Dave had told customers that the XPS would be ready before the forthcoming Pogopalooza Xpogo World Championship Series on March 17, 2017.
- What options can you offer Dave to meet the deadline if the project is not resource constrained?
- What options can you offer Dave to meet the deadline if the project is resource constrained?
After a staff meeting with Dave Armstrong, the Directors of both Marketing and Product Development have provided a list of personnel whom they can make available for specific tasks in an effort to reduce the project schedule to meet the March 17, 2017 deadline.
|Activity||Additional Resources||Revised Task Duration|
|Product Design||Design Engineers (2)||24 Days|
|Product Design||Industrial Engineers (2)||30 Days|
|Detailed Product Design||Development Engineers (2)||54 Days|
|Produce Prototype||Development Engineers (2)||20 Days|
|Produce Prototype||Industrial Engineers (2)||24 Days|
|Detailed Marketing Plan||Market Specialist (2)||15 days|
|Manufacturing Process Design||Design Engineers (2)||38 days|
|Manufacturing Process Design||Development Engineers (2)||36 days|
Prepare recommendations addressing the following concerns:
- Using these additional resources, can you meet Dave Armstrong’s new deadline?
- Specifically indicate how you will use these additional resources and their impact on the timeline
- Specifically indicate the costs of the additional resources on the cost of each task.
- Specifically detail how you are using crashing or fast tracking on each task to reduce the length of the project.
- What other ways could be employed to reduce the length of the project.
- What risks (both threats and opportunities) do you project for your solution on the tasks?
- Ø Include Network Diagrams showing the schedule before and after your proposed solution.
- Ø Create a matrix showing the difference in cost of each task with and without a compression schedule.
Dave Armstrong has asked you to meet with him in his office. He continues to be concerned about the schedule. From a business perspective, he believes that this project will allow him to capture and hold 80% of the market but only if the project can (1) meet the March 17, 2017 deadline, and (2) meet all the performance expectations. He states that he has been briefed on two different methods of doing a project: Critical Chain Project Management and Agile Project Management. Based on your work to date on planning the project, he wants you to frame an approach that examines what you have done to date, and compare that approach with both Critical Chain and Agile. He wants your recommendation on which approach will best meet the company expectations. He wants you to specifically address cost, schedule, scope and quality for each of the methodologies, and to recommend the best approach for this project in a white paper of no more than 8 pages.
Required Formatting of Project:
- The group project should be submitted to each respective group’s collaborative document folder by the group leader marked, “Final Stage 1,” and “Final Stage 2.”
- Prepare your answers to the above questions in a document using 12-point font, double-spaced, with bolded paragraph headings.
- Demonstrate authority and knowledge of the principles, processes, and techniques of project management by writing specific answers to each question, with appropriate explanations and definitions.
- Third person writing is required. Third person means that there are no words such as “I, me, my, we, or us” (first person writing), nor is there use of “you or your” (second person writing). If uncertain how to write in the third person, view this link: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/first-second-and-third-person .
- Contractions are not used in business writing, so you are expected NOT to use contractions in writing this assignment.
- The expectation is that you provide a robust use of the course readings. No other books besides the course eBook can be used. When using a source document, the expectation is that the information is cited and referenced with a page or paragraph number.
- Use APA guidelines for proper use of references to support the answers submitted.