Final Assignment – Group Assignment (35% of overall grade) – Two Staged Project
The group project is a dynamic exercise designed for students to develop project management skills. The project will provide you with experience in managing the myriad variables routinely encountered in project management, and will provide you with realistic problem-solving and decision-making scenarios. Most importantly, the project will give you the opportunity to practice various tasks of project management, adopting a hands-on, learn-by-doing approach that emphasizes active learning.
In this group project, you will complete the assignment in two stages. Stage 1 consists of students completing Part 1 and Part 2 (15%). Stage 2 requires students to complete Part 3 and Part 4 (20%).
NOTE: All submitted work is to be your original work. You may not use any work from another student, the Internet or an online clearinghouse. You are expected to understand the Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism Policy, and know that it is your responsibility to learn about instructor and general academic expectations with regard to proper citation of sources as specified in the APA Publication Manual, 6th Ed. (Students are held accountable for in-text citations and an associated reference list only).
Required Element to include in the Final Assignment – Group:
- Complete all sections within each part;
- Follow the directions for all questions;
- Write the question as the paragraph heading and answer with a concise narrative;
- Ensure the report is consistent with APA guidelines;
- All attachments should be cited within the report;
You are in project manager on the Extreme Pogo Stick (XPS) project for your company. Your project is to develop a pogo stick capable of reaching heights of fifteen feet. The company has president, Dave Armstrong, feels there is a potentially strong market for the XPS. He predicts that it may be suitable for X-Games and potentially in the Olympics. However, Dave is very concerned that the XPS be brought to market quickly so that it can capture market share. But he also wants the XPS to be engineered so that it maximizes the potential for athletes to complete the significant tricks without damaging the system or themselves.
As the project manager for the XPS, you must create a project plan. Assume the following:
- 1. The project must begin on January 4, 2016.
- 2. The company recognizes all Federal holidays, including:
- a. New Year’s (January 1)
- b. Martin Luther King Birthday (third Monday of January)
- c. Washington’s Birthday (third Monday of February)
- d. Memorial Day (last Monday of May)
- e. Independence Day (July 4)
- f. Labor Day (first Monday in September)
- g. Columbus Day (second Monday in October)
- h. Veterans Day (Nov 11)
- i. Thanksgiving Day (fourth Thursday of November)
- j. Christmas Day (December 25)
- 3. If a holiday falls in a Saturday, then it will be celebrated the preceding Friday. If a holiday falls in a Sunday, then it will be celebrated the following Monday.
- 4. The project team will work eight hour days, Monday through Friday. Weekend overtime is not authorized.
|2||Market Analysis||20 days||—||Marketing (4)|
|3||Business Case||15 days||2||Business Analysis (2)|
|4||Requirements Analysis||25 days||3||Marketing (2), Business Analysis (1), Designer (2), Developers (2), Industrial Engineer (1), Purchasing Agent (1)|
|5||Product Design||35 days||2, 4||Marketing (1), Business Analysis (1), Designer (4), Developers (2), Industrial Engineer (2), Purchasing Agent (1)|
|6||Manufacturing Analysis||27 days||5||Developers (2), Industrial Engineer (4)|
|7||Product Design Selection||23 days||5, 6||Marketing (2), Business Analysis (1), Designer (3), Developers (2), Industrial Engineer (2), Purchasing Agent (.5)|
|8||Detailed Marketing Plan||30 days||7||Marketing (4)|
|9||Manufacturing Process Design||50 days||7||Designer (1), Developers (2), Industrial Engineer (4)|
|10||Detailed Product Design||58 days||7||Marketing (2), Business Analysis (1), Designer (4), Developers (2), Industrial Engineer (3), Purchasing Agent (.5)|
|11||Produce Prototype||30 days||10||Developers (2), Industrial Engineer (2)|
|12||Test Prototype||10 days||11||Designer (4), Developers (2)|
|13||Finalize Product Design||30 days||9, 12||Marketing (2), Business Analysis (1), Designer (3), Developers (2), Industrial Engineer (2)|
|14||Order materials||20 days||13||Purchasing Agent (1)|
|15||Order Production Equipment||27 days||9, 13||Purchasing Agent (1)|
|16||Install Production Equipment||30 days||14F-S +20 days,
15F-S +35 days
|Designer (1), Developers (3), Industrial Engineer (4)|
|17||XPS Demonstration||1 day||8, 16||Marketing (4), Business Analysis (1), Designer (4), Industrial Engineer (4), Purchasing Agent (1)|
Based on Table 1 (above), construct a schedule for the XPS project and provide a point paper answering the following questions:
- 1. When will the project complete?
- 2. How many days will the project take?
- 3. What is the critical path for the project?
- 4. Is there a near critical path for the project?
- 5. How sensitive is this network?
- 6. Which activity has the most amount of slack?
- 7. Determine two milestones for the project. Why did you select these milestones?
- 8. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a network diagram to display this project?
- 9. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a Gantt chart to display this project?
Provide the following as printout:
- Gantt Chart
- Network Diagram with the critical path highlighted
- A table listing ES, EF, LS, LF for each activity and its slack or float.
The following personnel have been assigned to the XPS project:
4 marketing specialists ($80/hr)
1 business analyst ($85/hr)
4 design engineers ($110/hr)
4 development engineers ($115/hr)
4 industrial engineers ($105/hr)
1 purchasing agent ($55/hr)
Using the file from Part 1 of the XPS project and the information above, assign resources to the project. Then answer the questions in Part A and Part B.
Prepare a Project Status Report addressing the following concerns:
- Are any resources overallocated? Which ones?
- Do any of the activities have overallocated resources? If so, which ones?
- If we assume the project is time constrained, can you resolve the any overallocations by leveling within slack? What happens when you do this?
- If you level within slack, what is the impact on the sensitivity of the network?
Include a Resource Usage chart for the project
Assume that the project is now resource constrained. No additional personnel are available.
Prepare a Project Status Report addressing the following concerns:
- How long will the project take given the resources presently assigned?
- Are there any other alternative ways to resolve any issues or concerns?
- How does the duration of the project compare with the estimate that you generated in Part 1? What does that tell you about the impact of resources on a project?
- Ø Include a Tracking Gantt Chart for both of your Part 1 and Part 2 answers
Required Formatting of Project:
- The group project should be submitted to each respective group’s collaborative document folder by the group leader marked, “Final Stage 1,” and “Final Stage 2.”
- Prepare your answers to the above questions in a document using 12-point font, double-spaced, with bolded paragraph headings.
- Demonstrate authority and knowledge of the principles, processes, and techniques of project management by writing specific answers to each question, with appropriate explanations and definitions.
- Third person writing is required. Third person means that there are no words such as “I, me, my, we, or us” (first person writing), nor is there use of “you or your” (second person writing). If uncertain how to write in the third person, view this link: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/first-second-and-third-person.
- Contractions are not used in business writing, so you are expected NOT to use contractions in writing this assignment.
- The expectation is that you provide a robust use of the course readings. No other books besides the course eBook can be used. When using a source document, the expectation is that the information is cited and referenced with a page or paragraph number.
- Use APA guidelines for proper use of references to support the answers submitted.