DISTANCE AND E-LEARNING PROGRAM 2017
COM 110: CREATIVE WRITING
Your final project will be submitted in hardcopy and spiral bound during the final week of semester (exam week). Your work will comprise two parts submitted as one document using Times New Roman font size 12 and 1.5 line spacing. Include a simple table of contents for ease of reference. Use page breaks between the two sections and include page numbers at the top right hand corner. Please note that the final project accounts for 60% of your final grade.
Part I (10 marks)
Review “Story of an Hour” by Kate Chopin. Focusing your attention on elements of craft (point of view, structure, plot, narrative voice, etc.), comment on why you would recommend this text as a good read.
Part II (50 marks)
Write a short story (800 – 1000 words). Ensure that your story contains the following elements:
- A brief captivating title.
- Details of the setting of the story woven into the text.
- At least one believable; well developed character.
- A conflict introduced at the beginning of the story and developed towards a climax as the plot progresses and finally resolved.
- At least two themes; well developed.
- Elements of style/ literary techniques creatively and uniquely used to enhance the text.