M4 Assignment 2 Submission Quantitative Methodology
Assignment 2: Quantitative Methodology
Your research question may or may not be appropriately answered using Quantitative Research methodology. In this assignment you will apply what you have learned about quantitative methodology from the readings and the Assignment 1 discussion to your own research question. If your research question is best answered using Quantitative methodology, stick with it and complete the critique below. If not, how might you alter your question so that it may be answered using quantitative methodology? Although research is driven by questions, for this assignment we are going to turn it around so we may explore the benefits and differences of various types of methodologies. Adjust your question to fit a quantitative design and complete the critique below.
For example: The question “What are the perceptions of students regarding their experiences with faculty mentors” is best answered by gathering qualitative data through unstructured interviews via email correspondence. This question could become a quantitative question by altering the question to “What types of interactions do students value most with their faculty mentors?” To answer this quantitative question we could survey 250 students using an instrument identifying 15 functions of a faculty mentor on a likert scale (very helpful to not helpful).
By the due date assigned, complete the following dissertation critique for the Quantitative research you propose.
- Research Topic:
- Purpose of the Study:
- Overarching Research Question:
- Specific Research Questions/ Hypotheses:
- Type of Study: Quantitative
- Variables: Identify the Dependent and Independent Variables.
- Quantitative Research method design: survey, experimental, quasi-experimental, pretest/posttest control group, cross-sectional, longitudinal, etc.
- Instrument(s) analysis: Identify potential measures that will help to answer your research questions and discuss their reliability and validity.
- Data analysis: Discuss the statistical software, if any, that will be used in analysis of the data and the type of analyses that may be included. Discuss the anticipated generalizability of the results.
- Consent: What type of consent, if any, will be obtained from the participants?
*If your topic was not originally best suited for a quantitative design: What did you need to change to adjust your research to fit a quantitative design? How does this design address your overarching topic differently? Discuss the differences in the type of information you would gain by using this research design.
All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||Maximum Points|
|Included research topic, purpose of study, overarching research question/theory, specific research questions/philosophical underpinnings, methodological approach and sample.||4|
|Identified the quantitative research design. If appropriate, discussed design changes made to fit Quantitative methodology.||6|
|Discussed the procedure.||4|
|Identified the DV and IVs.||4|
|Identified the instruments and discussed their reliability/validity.||6|
|Discussed which types of statistical analysis or software may be used in the study; anticipated generalizability.||6|
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources, displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Justified ideas and responses by using appropriate examples and references from texts, Web sites, and other references or personal experience. Followed APA rules for attributing sources.||5|