History Common Assignment
ARTICLE ANALYSIS INSTRUCTIONS
- Reading Selection:
Select an article/monograph pertaining to the historical period covered in this course from a scholarly historical periodical from the San Jacinto College Library System (either in print or through a database.) Click on the “History Research” link in the “Content” section of the Blackboard Course Web Site to access a link to the library database and other library services.
- Preparation of Article Analysis:
- Thesis – Explain the topic of the article as well as the author’s main
argument or focus.
- Evidence – Analyze the evidence that the author uses to support his/her thesis. Does
the evidence support his/her thesis? (Please identify any primary sources used.) What qualifications does the author have that make him/her qualified to write on the subject?
- Conclusion – Provide comments and/or criticisms of the work. Read and comment
on one or two contrary perspectives on the topic (one must be primary.) How does this issue affect your world today and does is change your outlook in any way or push you toward any action?
- Typewritten, Double-Spaced on Letter-size (8 1/2″ x 11″) Plain White Font Size must be Times New Roman 12 point
- Length -300 words
- Citation – refer to the Citation Help Tab in the San Jacinto College South Library Research/Database page for resources and directions on how to cite the article in the paper.
Download completed paper as a word attachment in the Common Assessment Paper Submission link located in the Content section of the Blackboard Course Web Site on or before 11:59 PM on Friday 17 November 2017.
- Tutorial Assistance
Take a copy of this instruction page with you and visit the writer’s center in the library on South Campus if you need assistance and/or have questions regarding how to complete the assignment.