MARK 301 – Fundamentals of Marketing
Marketing Analysis Report – Individual Assignment –Fall 2017
The purpose of this assignment is to describe and analyze key marketing activities and strategies of a company that you will choose among the 100 Sustainia100 2016 list (http://www.sustainia.me/solutions/ ) (See detailed assignment instructions below.)
You should aim for a B2C company from the above-mentioned list. Failure to do so will result in a zero mark on this assignment, as I will assume that you have not read the instructions and/or have plagiarized your assignment. Obtain information by searching for resource materials obtained from the company’s website or from other public sources (library, Internet websites, publications etc.). You will be graded based on a written report you submit on Blackboard by October 15 at 11:59 p.m.
Significant primary and/or secondary research is expected (4-5 sources minimum). Valuable sources include third party analyses in business periodicals and credible Internet sites, the website of the organization and insider interviews. You are expected to include at least one academic reference (that is, article in an academic journal).
At MacEwan School of Business, we signed on to PRME- Principles for Responsible Management Education – our commitment to provide an education that is more than just technique and skills, but one that is values based – that is based on the principles for responsible management. Therefore, for your Marketing Analysis Report, you are expected also to research and describe activities that the company you are analyzing is undertaking with regard to social responsibility. Possible issues can include (but are not limited to) causes that companies are advocating for, social campaigns that companies are promoting in some fashion, activities related to preserving the environment (e.g., paper use reduction, water consumption reduction, etc.), or what the company is doing to benefit its stakeholders (employees, customers, suppliers, etc.). Consider looking up a company’s Corporate Social Responsibility or Sustainable Development information on their websites to explore what they are doing.
Tip: Conduct some preliminary research before settling on an organization for your project. This will help ensure that you will be able to find sufficient information upon which to build an analysis.
General Format Guidelines
- Cover page must include your name and ID number, course and section number, assignment title and date.
- The file name should contain your name and the name of the company/product you are discussing. (for example, BrianSmith_ImpossibleFoods.doc)
- 1000 words maximum, double-spaced.
- Use both paragraph-form and point-form as deemed appropriate. Presentation does matter!
- Show clear application of terminology and concepts.
- Clear and concise writing, proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, and appropriate referencing of information sources (APA Style).
Written Report – Requirements
Introduction (5 marks)
- Introduction includesa brief description of the company and the product you are focusing on for the report. Include also a short explanation about why you chose this company (i.e., what captured your attention?)
- Explain briefly how the company practices socially responsible behaviour (i.e., what does the company do to benefit its stakeholders, the society and/or the environment).
Environmental Scan (10 marks)
- Assess how the environmental forces (social, economic, technological, competitive and regulatory) impact the marketing activities of your chosen firm’s product. (For example, we know that increased eco-consciousness is one of the trends within social forces. How can this impact the company and its marketing activities? Is the company doing anything to respond to this trend? The emphasis should be on analyzing how each of the environmental forces influences the company and the responses that the company has developed or might develop in the future to adapt to trends in the environment.) You can choose to focus on 2-3 most important for the company environmental forces in more detail, instead of covering all five environmental forces.
Consumer Behaviour (10 marks)
- Examine relevant psychological and sociocultural influences on consumer behaviour as it pertains to your chosen product. (Numerous social and psychological factors influence consumer behaviour. Major psychological factors include motivation, personality, perception, learning, values, beliefs and attitudes, and lifestyle. Sociocultural influences include personal influence, reference groups, the family, social class, culture and subculture. Which of those would be the most relevant for the company and its product and how will they influence consumer behaviour?)
- This part should start with explicit mention of the factors you consider most important and then proceed to explain how those factors influence consumer behaviour for your chosen product.
- Do not describe the target market in this section, as this is something you will do in the next section.
Target Market/Segmentation (10 marks)
- Demonstrate understanding of market segmentation by describing the product’s target market(s). This description should be organized using the bases for segmenting consumer markets (geographic, demographic, psychographic, and behavioural segmentation) to describe the target market, and create a rich and visual description of the typical consumer(s).
Conclusion (5 marks)
- Conclusion reviews key points; does not introduce new information.
- Include your recommendations for the company on the issues examined. (Saying that the company should “continue doing what they have done so far” is NOT an appropriate recommendation.)
Format, Writing &References (10 marks)
- Research requirements met
- Coherence of ideas in writing
- Balance between various areas of report
- Professionalism in look, style, and substance of report & use of appropriate terminology; objective and professional writing style (Use headings / subheadings to make reading and locating of major concepts easier. Demonstrate understanding of concepts through application of marketing terminology to the company / product you are analyzing.)
- References use according to APA style (both in-text citations and end of text reference list)
- References reflect a broad range of sources, which might include personal interviews, academic articles, textbooks, relevant and reliable websites, company documentation, published reports.
- Use at least 4-5 references among which at least one academic reference.
(50 marks total; 10% of final grade)