Text book: Harris, S L(2014) The New Testament: A Student’s Introduction (8th ed) Dubuque: Mc Graw Hill Education.
Discuss: a minimum of 250 words (main post) and two scholarly sources. Complete: a minimum of 1,200 words (total assignment) and three scholarly sources. Please use Google Scholar and your CPS Library. Do not just “Google” The Answer..
- When Paul advises believers about choosing between marriage and the single life, how much do you think his expectations that the parousia might be near affected his advice? Explain why/why not.
- How does Paul link Jesus’ resurrection to the Christian hope of an afterlife?
- In 2 Corinthians chapters 10-13, what arguments do Paul’s opponents at the church in Corinth use against him? How does Paul use his mystical experiences to counter these arguments?
- Define what Paul means by righteousness, justification and faith. Why does Paul tell the Galatians especially (although he says the same thing in Romans) that circumcision is no longer necessary?
- In Romans ch. 1 Paul speaks of humanity’s guilt and of its turning away from God in favor of mere idols. What is humanity’s responsibility in this? What are the consequences of this idolatry?
- What issue does Paul have to address in Philippians 3 that he already was forced to address in his letter to the Galatians? What is Paul’s mood during this part of his letter and what language does he use to indicate how he feels?
- What do we suspect that Onesimus did to get him in to trouble and why do we think that he finally ended up with Paul?