Conduct a health assessment of a population of your choice. Explain the process and summarize the results. Then, prepare a PowerPoint presentation that presents your health assessment to your colleagues in a venue that most closely resembles something you would do in your current clinical setting.
This assessment is the first piece in the Professional Development Portfolio you submit in Assessment 5.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Health Assessment – Conduct comprehensive and focused assessments of health and illness parameters in individuals, groups, and vulnerable populations. ◦Describe the key elements that make up a health assessment at the community, group, and individual levels.
◦Explain the process involved in conducting a comprehensive health assessment.
◦Summarize the findings of a health assessment for a specific population.
- Competency 3: Nursing Research and Informatics – Incorporate evidence-based practice interventions (for example, information systems and patient care technologies) as appropriate for managing the acute and chronic care of patients, promoting health across the lifespan. ◦Use valid, scholarly research resources relevant to the field of nursing to support information presented.
- Competency 5: Communication – Communicate effectively with all members of the health care team, including interdepartmental and interdisciplinary collaboration for quality outcomes. ◦Describe the characteristics of a specific target audience.
◦Develop a presentation that is appropriate in scope for a specific target audience.
◦Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate APA format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics as expected of a nursing professional.
Effective communication is one of the most critical skills a health care provider can master. Nurses communicate to a variety of individuals with a range of educational levels who come from diverse settings.
Questions to Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
- What have you found to be best practices for conducting a health assessment?
- How do various forms of technology affect a nurse’s ability to conduct a health assessment?
- What communication tools can help promote patient safety?
Complete both Part I and Part II:
Conduct a health assessment of a population of your choice as you complete the following:
1.Describe the key elements that make up a health assessment at each of the following levels: 1.Community.
2.Explain the process for completing a comprehensive health assessment.
3.Summarize the findings of the health assessment you conducted. Be sure you include a brief description of the population you selected.
Prepare a PowerPoint presentation of your health assessment intended for a specific audience. Some examples include the following:
- Interprofessional team rounds.
- An in-service for team members.
- A meeting of stakeholders to conduct an interprofessional assessment of the selected client population.
- Another setting.
Consider the specific characteristics of your target audience to determine the type of information that would be most appropriate and the style of presentation that would be most effective for presenting the information.
Carefully read the following instructions:
1.In the notes section of the first slide, describe the characteristics of your target audience.
2.In the notes sections of each subsequent slide, explain why you are including the information presented on the slide. Support your information with valid scholarly resources.
3.The final slide should be the reference list for the resources you used in your presentation.
- Format: Include a title page and reference page for both Part I and Part II. Use APA style and formatting for all of Part I and the references for Part II.
- Length: Part I of this assessment should be approximately 3 pages in length. There is no required number of slides for Part II (PowerPoint presentation), but make sure you address the health assessment as completely as possible for your target audience.
- References: Cite at least three current scholarly or professional resources (these may be the same for both Part I and Part II).
- Font: Use double-spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman font for Part I.
You are required to submit your assessment (Part I only) to the Turnitin source matching tool.