Before starting on this assignment, carefully go through all of the required background readings including the Pearson tutorial and the textbook chapters. Focus on the four main steps involved in the control process: setting goals and standards, measuring performance, comparing actual performance to performance goals, and taking corrective actions. Also, pay close attention to the different methods of control outlined in the background materials.
For this assignment you will be reviewing four hypothetical scenarios. Go through each scenario, and think about what went wrong regarding the control process. For each scenario, discuss the following two issues:
- What do you think went wrong in terms of the control process? Refer to the discussion in Sections 5.7-5.9 in Murugesan (2012).
- What control system do you think should be implemented to correct this problem in the control process. Refer to one of the methods of control discussed on pages 212-219 of Hill and McShane (2006). Your paper should be four to five pages in length, with roughly equal space in your paper devoted to each of the four scenarios below:
- Suppose as part of a company’s standards they require their salesforce team to make 12 phone calls per hour with no more than five minutes of phone time per customer. The company fails to meet their profit targets, and a review of salesforce records reveals that they were only making an average of 10 phone calls per hours. Corrective actions are taken, and the salesforce starts making 12 phone calls per hour. But profits still don’t improve and fail to meet targets. [Discuss both questions A and B above regarding this scenario. Your answer should be 1page in length]
- Now suppose an airline sets strategic goals of both reducing flight delays and improving safety requirements. At the end of year a comprehensive review is done that shows that the company met its standards both in terms of reduced flight delays and improvements in safety standards. However, shortly after the review the airline company receives several fines from the Federal Aviation Administration for safety violations. [Discuss both questions A and B above regarding this scenario. Your answer should be 1-page in length]
- An automobile manufacturer decides on a goal of reducing production defects from 10% to 5%. Defects are monitored closely, careful records are kept, and production line is often videotaped. At the end of year production defects are still around 10%. Management decides that even more monitoring is necessary and decides that all production processes be videotaped. But after another year production defects are still around 10%. [Discuss both questions A and B above regarding this scenario. Your answer should be1-page in length]
- A video game company decides to boost profits by creating five new games over the coming year. Carefully monitoring is done over the new game development process and all five new games are created as scheduled with high quality standards. However, only one of the five games ends up selling and the other four end up losing money. So overall profits have not been boosted and have actually declined. [Discuss both questions A and B above regarding this scenario. Your answer should be one to one and a half pages in length]
- Answer the assignment questions directly.
- Stay focused on the precise assignment questions. Don’t go off on tangents or devote a lot of space to summarizing general background materials.
- Make sure to use reliable and credible sources as your references. Articles published in established newspapers or business journals/magazines are preferred. If you find articles on the internet, make sure it is from a credible source.
- Reference your sources of information with both a bibliography and in-text citations. See the Student Guide to Writing a High-Quality Academic Paper, including pages 13 and 14 on in-text citations. Another resource is the “Writing Style Guide,” which is found under “My Resources” in the TLC portal.