In the first four topics of this unit we have explored different categories of rules that intended to contribute to protecting natural resources/environmental values and fostering sustainable behaviours. Your first assignment will require you to explain in plain English and in a very concise manner:
- How a specific NRM rule chosen among those explored in topic 1, 2, 3 and 4 can in theory contribute to protecting natural resources/environmental values and achieving sustainable behavioural change;
- How the behavioural effectiveness of this rule may in practice be jeopardised by two key institutional issues.
To achieve this task, you will have to
- select a specific rule that has been highlighted in one of the first four topics of the unit.
- use a real case study, which has preferably been reported in the news and/or a case-law; and
- report the details of your findings/discussion in the form of a PowerPoint presentation with written explanations for each slide. Please note that the written text which provides the basis of your PowerPoint presentation:
o will have to be submitted along with your PowerPoint presentation in the form of a pdf document; Please make sure that in your pdf document there is a distinct explanatory section for each slide.
o cannot exceed 500 words;
In your presentation you might consider the following aspects:
O rule explanation/justification;
o brief statement of the legal issue at stake; o explanation of the outcome of the decision;
- brief statement of the significance of this case study for natural resource management issues.