Intercultural Film Analysis Assignment
Online and Lecture Interpersonal Communication (COMM 2050)
Apply the vocabulary and concepts presented in our class to communication interactions in your chosen film.
This film analysis is an important assignment because it allows you to apply the principles and concepts that you have learned in class: analyze your own reactions in order to understand your perceptions of the film; express yourself with clarity, style, and effectiveness; and develop and use good standards of college level writing and analysis.
The superior film analysis is an expression of your thoughts and emotions. The superior film analysis is thoughtful, honest, and careful. The superior film analysis is a well-composed, reasoned, and supported by course concepts.
There is no need to provide a film or plot summary – I have watched these films multiple times (any information that is not your own (for example: information from an online website, MUST be cited using an APA citation) or it is considered plagiarism.
Please follow guidelines for college-level writing; including a thesis statement, full paragraphs, transitions, introductory and closing paragraphs…
Step #1– Watch a video from the list below:
1. Forrest Gump (1994)
2. Inside Out (2015)
3. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
4. Flight (2012)
5. The Sandlot (1993)
6. Larry Crowne (2011)
7. Mulan (1998)
8. Robert and Frank (2012)
9. Incredibles (2004)
Step #2- Write a 4-5 page (double-spaced) analysis paper that includes a minimum of one (1) concept from each of these 6 areas:
1. Conflict (Chapter 9)
2. Emotions (Chapter 7)
3. Nonverbal communication (Chapter 5)
4. Language (Chapter 4)
5. Listening (Chapter 6)
6. Close Relationships (Chapter 10)
Step #3- Analyze each examples from the film using the concepts presented in our textbook (making sure to apply at least one example from each of the six required areas) using the following process:
1. Identify an example from the film and briefly describe the scene.
2. Cite a text example that relates to this example – making sure to include the text definition and page number or section/chapter from our text.
3. Analyze the film example and demonstrate your understanding of the concept and how it relates to the example including your own insights and thoughts.
Note: Please highlight the related course concept, definition and page number or chapter/section number in bold or a different color.
Interpersonal Communication (COMM2050)
Checklist for an “A” Intercultural Film Analysis Assignment
1. Is your analysis paper 4-5 pages in length (double spaced)?
2. Do you analyze at least 12 communication examples from the film?
3. Does your assignment analyze each film example using a concept or theory (at least 12 text concepts applied) from our textbook?
4. Is each course concept/theory cited with a definition and page number?
5. Is each course concept highlighted in some way (different color, italics, bold…)?
6. Does your writing clear explain how and why each concept relates to each film example?
7. Is there a concept applied in your analysis from each of the six required areas?
8. Have you double checked your writing for mechanical, grammar and spelling errors?
9. Does your paper follow the guidelines for college-level writing including a thesis statement, full paragraphs, transitions, introductory and closing paragraphs…
Note: Remember, this paper serves as a “final exam” or capstone project for our class so make sure to put in your very best effort and proof your final draft before uploading