As the CFO of your corporation, you are in charge of preparing and analyzing financial statements that will be presented to potential investors and creditors. However, before you can present the financial statements to investors and creditors, you need to prepare the financial statements with supporting analysis. Select one (1) pair of the following companies to conduct your financial statement analysis.
- Pepsi versus Coca Cola, or
- Amazon versus eBay
- Target versus Walmart
- Nike versus Reebok
Write a six to eight (6-8) page paper in which you:
- Analyze each company’s history, product / services, major customers, major suppliers, and leadership, and provide a synopsis of each company.
- Identify three (3) profitability ratios that creditors may be interested in. Calculate the ratio for each company, and prepare a report to summarize your findings on the financial health of each company. Also, recommend to management the manner in which they can improve each of the three (3) ratios identified.
- Summarize at least two (2) news events (this may include mergers, acquisitions, or political issues) that occurred from 2012 to the present day, and analyze the impact that these events had on each company’s financial statements. Indicate the primary way in which the merger, acquisition or political issues influence potential investors’ and creditors’ perception of both companies.
- Analyze each company’s income statement over the past two (2) years, and determine which company outperformed the other. Suggest a way in which the lagging company can improve its income. Support your suggestion with a specific analysis.
- Analyze each company’s balance sheet. Prepare a vertical analysis for each company, interpret the results, and write a financial report. Also, suggest the manner in which the company that is not performing well can improve its balance sheet in order for it to be attractive to potential investors.
- Use at least four (4) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Prepare and analyze financial statements including the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flow according to GAAP and IFRS.
- Calculate financial ratios, interpret results, and draw conclusions.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in financial accounting.
- Write clearly and concisely about financial accounting using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.
Click here to view the grading rubric