Jigsaw Activity: Services for Children and Families
Guidelines Part 2: In-Class Group Description of Resources
- In the in-class description of resources you will be examining the nature of resources available to children and families in Santa Clara County by looking across the 12 organizations/ agencies. (Jigzaw Part 1)
- As a group address the following questions by looking across all the agencies/organizations reviewed in Part 1a. You want to talk about trends rather than individual organizations/agencies. Be sure, however, to illustrate your points by describing sample organizations. (You may put this in bullet format, make sure your description is comprehensive):
- What types of risk factors are addressed or covered most frequently or across all 12 resources/agencies?
- Are there differences in the types of risk factors addressed by the 4 types of professional disciplines? Explain.
- Are there gaps in what is covered? What risk factors are not covered?
- Are there differences in the types of people the 4 professional disciplines target: individuals, parents, or community?
- What are the most frequently provided services (e.g., counseling, mentoring) across the (12) resources?
- Are there differences in the types of services provided by the 34) types of professional disciplines? Explain.
- Do the (12) resources tend to focus on intervention? Prevention? Or both? Does this differ by professional discipline? What kinds of services are offered in intervention programs? What kinds of services are offered in prevention programs? Explain.
(h) Across all (12) resources, what are the most frequently targeted protective factors?
(i) Are there differences in the types of protective factors targeted by the 3(4) types of professional disciplines? Explain.
(j) Do the different professional disciplines differ with respect to the extent to which they explicitly refer to/describe using (1) evaluation data and (2) empirical research to guide the development or delivery of their services and programs? Explain what the differences are OR why they don’t differ.
(k) In terms of the services, risk reduction, promotion of well-being, use of evaluation data, professional training, etc., which services and professional disciplines do you believe are most effective? Least effective. Explain.
Assessment and Submission
(a) This assignment will be assessed on the quality of your responses to 3a-3k:
* provides comprehensive answers to 3a-3k;
* summarizes clear trends across the agencies/organizations rather than reporting by individual organization/agency
* responses to 3a-3k are accurate, clear, logical;
* uses examples to illustrate and explain the trends
(b) Submit responses to 3a-3k to Canvas.