Read the following scenario:
You are a patrol lieutenant for the Dome City Police Department, a medium-sized agency of 40 sworn officers. As the patrol lieutenant, you act as one of the shift supervisors and watch commanders, supervising about 10 officers. All patrol shifts rotate every 4 months.
Recently, a new police chief was hired from outside the department after a nationwide search. The new police chief wrote a grant proposal to receive funding for new state-of-the-art soft body armor vests for all officers. The department’s previous attempts to purchase and implement wearing of soft body armor by officers had been unsuccessful.
The new police chief has received the grant funding and has selected you to research and draft a policy for mandatory wear of soft body armor by officers in the department, because of your firearms instructor background.
However there will, or may, be obstacles to implementing this policy. The department’s unionized line officers is a major obstacle, along with possible complaints of medical issues like rashes that prevent the wearing of the vests, heat-related factors, freedom of movement, freedom of choice, and everything in between.
For this Assignment, write a 700–1,050-word analysis of the actions you would take to create and implement the soft body armor mandatory wear policy outlined in the scenario. Include the following in your analysis:
- Discuss the organizational theories that apply to law enforcement and criminal justice agencies.
- Address arguments that can be raised against the policy to illustrate typical organizational behavior.
- Suggest solutions to the arguments against the mandatory wear policy that take into account and describe law enforcement culture and this agency’s unionized law enforcement culture.
- Include a title and reference page.
- Cite a minimum of two sources within the body of your paper using in-text citations where appropriate.
NOTE: This Assignment is to write a paper about organizational theory, organizational behavior, and organizational culture, specifically within a law enforcement agency, and within the context of implementing a mandatory-wear policy for body armor.
This Assignment will require outside research. Use at least two credible sources beyond the text material and discuss how you evaluated the credibility of the resources used.
In addition to fulfilling the specifics of the Assignment, a successful paper must also meet the following criteria.
- Length should be 700–1,050 words, excluding cover page and references page.
- Include a title page with full name, class name, section number, and date.
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly established and sustained.
- Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.).
- Writing should be well ordered , logical, and unified , as well as original and insightful.
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics.
- Use double space and Arial or Times New Roman in 12-point font size.
- Use examples to support your discussion.
- Cite all sources on a separate reference page at the end of your paper and cited within the body of your paper using APA format and citation style. For more information on APA guidelines, visit the Kaplan University Writing Center and review Common Citations in APA.
Directions for Submitting Your Assignment
Create your paper in Word and save it in a location and with a name that you will remember. Be sure to include your name, class, and section number for your Assignment. Submit the Assignment by uploading your document to the Unit 6 Assignment 2 Dropbox by the end of Unit 6.
The links below provide resources to get you started on your work.
Ballistic Body Armor
Zakhary, Y. (2007, Dec.) Ballistic body armor: A chief’s refresher course. The Police Chief. 74(12). Retrieved from http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&article_id=1340&issue_id=122007
Provides IACP (International Association of Chiefs of Police) guidance on body armor wear policy for officers in uniform and other specifications.