ESSAYS: OPTIONAL, May do none, one, or both. [ONE From A and ONE from B]
PLAGIARISM will result in an F. (i.e., Direct copying/memorization from text or website) – use your own words. May NOT use notes during final, either on paper OR electronic devices.
- A) The Optional Essay for Weeks 10 through 15:
Four of the following five essays will be put on the exam.
1) Why were the British and other European and American nations able to gain such decisive advantages in distant lands in the 18th and 19th centuries? What were the varying reactions of Africans and Asians to this “Imperialism”? What were the results by the late 19th century?
2) What were the causes and consequences of World War I? What role did 19th century thought and 20th century technology play in it? What were some of the long term consequences in economic, political, social, and military terms?
3) What was the Holocaust and why did it occur? Explain the roles of science, technology, eugenics, and social darwinism upon it. What were the responses of the Allies during and after the war? Could they have done more?
4) What were the causes and consequences of World War II? What roles did 19th century thought play (including fascism, communism and social darwinism), what role did World War I, and new forms of technology play in it? What were some of the long term consequences in economic, political, social, and military terms?
5) What was the Industrial Revolution? In what ways was it different from earlier developments? Why did happen when and where it did? What were some key innovations associated with the Industrial Revolution (name at least 3)? Given where and when it was, do you think this was inevitable?
- B) Essay 2: Comprehensive Essay
1) There is no doubt that European Hegemony has had an incredible impact upon the world from 1492 to 1945. Why did this come about (in contrast, say, to Meso-America, Africa, or China), what impact did it have, and why did it finally decline in the 20th century? Do not forget to include geographical, economic, religious, technological, scientific, political, and cultural factors in your answer
NOTE: A Tip on Writing Essays. [Heed the warnings.]
When writing your essay, make sure to back up your general claims with specifics from your readings, lectures, and discussions. Realize that a 100 point essay cannot be fully answered in just one page (with normal size handwriting).