ARTS 1301 – Art Appreciation
DUE: December 13th at 11.45pm
Make an order by contacting us via firstname.lastname@example.org. We respond instantly
Description and Instructions:
Students will be asked to create an artwork using any medium discussed in the course (i.e. drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, time-based media & sculpture, craft, etc.). The work can be any size – just make sure you can photograph it if it is too big to turn in. You will create an artwork inspired by an historical artwork we’ve studied in class. Using the language of art that we’ve been learning throughout the course, you will the write a short essay explaining your piece. Reference the following questions as guidance:
- Why did you choose this specific historical work?
- Why have you made certain artistic choices and how do these inform the composition, feeling, or concept of the drawings.
- What similarities and differences do you see between your work and its historical referent? Are these visually and/or conceptually relations effective? For example, do the works relate in theme, style and/or appearance?
- What works well? What are the strengths of your piece? How could you improve your work to make it stronger visually and/or conceptually?
Here’s what you’ll submit:
- An image (digital photo) of your work.
- A 400-500 word essay explaining your work and how it related to the art historical example you chose.
The purpose of this assignment is that you experience the creative process. It is not important whether your work is a masterpiece—only that you complete it and apply what you have learned throughout the course to effectively think and write about your work. You will engage in the creative process and demonstrate your awareness of the physical and intellectual demands of the arts. This project will fulfill the Communication (COM) and Critical Thinking (CT) requirement for the course. It will be worth 15% of your grade. At the completion of this project, students will:
- effectively express ideas in a written, oral, or visual form. (COM)
- demonstrate the development, interpretation, and expression of the chosen topic, thus showing their ability to synthesize information and to think critically. (CT)
Make sure that the image is not blurry and has good resolution; otherwise, it will not be graded. With the image, please also submit your essay. Within your essay, please identity the historical work you are referencing by name and include an image.
- Your paper should be free of grammatical errors and be written in a college-level but readable style. It must be logically organized. You should use your own voice but integrate vocabulary and terms used in lecture and the assigned readings. (Unnecessary wordiness, usually the result of using the synonym function in Word too much, weakens your paper).
- Please READ (aloud) and proofread your essay before submitting it. Grammar and syntax impacts your grade.